|Affiliations||Fairy Tail Guild (mage, former)|
|Relatives|| Natsu Dragion (alt. reality counterpart)|
Igneel (adoptive father)
|Manga||Fairy Tail Volume #1: Chapter #1|
|Anime||Episode 1 (Fairy Tail)|
|Film||Fairy Tail the Movie: The Phoenix Priestess|
|Game||Sunday VS Magazine: Shuuketsu! Choujou Daikessen!|
Natsu Dragneel is a character in the Fairy Tail franchise. He is the main male protagonist; a Fire Dragon Slayer of the Fairy Tail Guild.
Abandoned at a young age, Natsu was taken in by a fire dragon, one of the rarest creatures in the entire world. The dragon, Igneel, raised Natsu and taught him a special kind of magic called Dragon Slayer magic, granting Natsu the powers of a fire dragon. But one day, Igneel disappeared from the face of the Earth. Natsu's quest to find him lead him to the Fairy Tail Guild. Still relatively young, he grew up as a powerful, and rather destructive member of the guild, but still has no clues as to Igneel's whereabouts.
Growing up in Fairy Tail, Natsu made close friends with many other members of the guild as though they were his family. One day an egg was discovered and brought into the guild and Natsu immediately claimed it as his own, believing it to be a dragon egg. He and Lisanna made sure to watch over the egg and nurtured it until it hatched. However, when it did, what came out wasn't a dragon, but a winged talking cat. Natsu named him Happy and both formed a partnership that has lasted to this very day, through thick and thin.
His name originates from the name Natsu which means summer, while his last name Dragneel is a combination of the words Dragon and Igneel, his foster father's name. In Mashima's one shot story that served as a basis for the manga, Natsu was originally a spirit with horns on his head who looked similiar to Aki, a character from Mashima's Monster Soul. Mashima also originally intended to make Natsu's clothes red but decided to make it black in order to have a better contrast between his fire and his clothing. Like other Fairy Tail characters, Natsu has also resembled or borrowed things from Mashima's other works. For one, his Dragon Slayer fighting style has a resemblance to Rave Master's Let who is also coincidentally a dragon himself. In addition, his appearance as the Great Demon Lord in Edolas is similar to Lucia Raregroove (with the exception of the horns), the main antagonist of Mashima's Rave Master.
Natsu's appearance has remained constant over the series with his attire giving him a distinctive look, the most distinguishing part being his scarf which was given to him as a gift by Igneel. Because of its sentimental value, Natsu is rarely seen without it. Nevertheless, there have been times when he's been seen outside of his regular outfit which has revealed a severe scar on his neck (how he got it was never explained) while wearing the scarf around his head.
Natsu is a hot-headed, rash, and reckless individual who is known for getting into countless and senseless brawls (mostly with Gray) and mindlessly destroying buildings and other structures with his magic. Despite his "violent" nature, he does have a compassionate and protective side, especially when it comes to his friends and guild, and even sometimes his enemy. Although he may seem like a dunce at times, constantly acting carefree and oblivious in certain situations, he does have great wits in battle, whereby he can quickly identify an enemy's weakness and formulate effective strategies that give him an edge. He can also be quite childish, often teasing Lucy (with Happy), but in turn gets ridiculed for his severe motion sickness.
Powers & Abilities
Fire Dragon Slayer Magic
Dragon Slayers tend to be incredibly strong and durable, though each slayer reflects attributes of the dragon who trained him. Igneel, for instance, was a fire dragon, thus Natsu not only breathes fire, but he can eat it to replenish his strength. This act is not just functional, Natsu regularly comments about how he enjoys and seeks the stuff. This insinuates that the each of the dragon slayers probably must possess a certain personality for the traits they gain. Natsu's flame is said to be the hottest, and no other flame could dream of burning him. Also, his flame is regularly used to describe his fiery passion about his friends and the tasks in front of him.
Fire Dragon Slayer Techniques
|Image|| Fire Dragon's Roar (火竜の咆哮 Karyū no Hōkō)
Like other Dragon Slayers, Natsu can fire his dragon element from his mouth, like a dragon breathing fire. The user inhales, gathering flames in his/her mouth, and then fires it at their target. Natsu has been seen using this technique in two ways, the first is more complicated, with Natsu adopting a stance and fireing the attack through his hands. The second is less complicated and has Natsu simply inhale and fire, without any specific stance or the use of his hands.
|Fire Dragon's Claw (火竜の鉤爪 Karyū no Kagitsume)|
Fire Dragon's Iron Fist (火竜の鉄拳 Karyū no Tekken)
Fire Dragon's Wing Attack (火竜の翼撃 Karyū no Yokugeki)
Fire Dragon's Sword Horn (火竜の剣角 Karyū no Kenkaku)
Fire Dragon's Brilliant Flame (火竜の煌炎 Karyū no Kōen)
Fire Dragon's Flame Elbow (火竜の炎肘 Karyū no Enchū)
|Fire Dragon's Crushing Fang (火竜の砕牙 Karyū no Saiga)|
Natsu punches with his burning hand his opponents in an arc, striking them with his finger tips.
Fire Dragon Slayer's Secret Art Techniques
- Crimson Lotus: Fire Dragon's Fist (紅蓮・火竜拳 Guren Karyū Ken) - Natsu engulf his hands and then proceeds in punching his opponents in a fast barrage of punches.
- Crimson Lotus: Exploding Flame Blade (紅蓮・爆炎刃 Guren Bakuenjin) - Natsu engulf his hands in fire and then spin his arm creating a powerful whirlwind of flames.
- Crimson Lotus: Phoenix Sword ("不知火型" - 紅蓮・鳳凰剣 "Shiranui Gata" : Guren Hōō Ken) - While in Dragon Force, Natsu engulfs his body with fire then proceeds to propel himself at the opponent headbutting them.
Fire Dragon/God Slayer Techniques
- Dragon God's Brilliant Flame (竜神の煌炎 Ryūjin no Kōen) - A more powerful version of Fire Dragon's Brilliant Flame, Natsu uses this technique after consuming Zancrow's flames. Natsu produces god flames with one hand and dragon flames with the other, and uses both to attack his opponent at the same time, causing a large explosion.
Lightning/Flame Dragon Slayer Techniques
- Lightning Flame Dragon's Roar (雷炎竜の咆哮 Raienryū no Hōkō) - Natsu unleashes a devastating breath attack composed of flames and lightning magic. After eating Laxus's lightning while fighting Hades in "S-Class Trial Arc," he is able to combine his flame magic and Laxus's lightning magic. He uses this technique again while fighting Max in "Year X791 Arc."
- Lightning Flame Dragon's Firing Hammer (雷炎竜の撃鉄 Raienryū no Gekitetsu) - Natsu combines lightning and flame magic and condenses it around his fist to destroy his target. He first uses it against Gemma.
- Crimson Lotus: Exploding Lightning Blade (滅竜奥義 改 紅蓮爆雷刃 Metsu Ryū Ōgi Kai Guren Bakuraijin) - Natsu has flames in one hand and lightning in the other. He combines them to create a powerful vortex that blows his enemies away. He uses this move against Hades.
- Enhanced Smell - Dragon slayer magic is also able to increase his sense of smell making Natsu an exceptional tracker as shown when he was able to tell that Kaby was poor even though the man rented his friend's mansion just for show, and when he was able to pick up Ultear's scent despite the large distance between the two.
- Enhanced Durability - Natsu has incredible durability. He is able to withstand brutal assaults and still be able to stand in fights. He also seems to be resistant to poison as shown in his battle against Cobra.
- Expert Hand-to-Hand Combat - Natsu is skilled in hand-to-hand combat making him able to win in almost impossible situations.
- Transformation - Natsu is able to use transformation magic he learned from Mirajane allowing him to shape shift.
He is stubborn, argumentative (particularly with Gray) and will often seek out the most difficult/dangerous tasks for the thrill of it. But his only "real" weakness is his inability to travel on any sort of device. Boats, carriages, planes... Natsu becomes incredibly motion sick the second the object starts to move. His sensitivity is pretty spectacular, and often leads to him being bested by much weaker foes. But Happy, his best friend/blue cat-bird, is the only exception to this rule. The minuscule mammal can support for Natsu for short distance flight, and he isn't bothered in the slightest.