|Age||19 (debut) |
|Occupations||Fairy Hills Head Girl|
|Affiliations|| Fairy Tail Guild |
(S-Class mage, former)
|Teams|| Allied Forces|
Team Fairy Tail A
Team Fairy Tail
|Light Novel||Fairy Tail: The Color Residing Within The Heart|
|Manga||Chapter 10 (Fairy Tail)|
|Anime||Episode 4 (Fairy Tail)|
As a child Erza was enslaved and forced to help build The Tower of Heaven. She was blinded in her right eye after being injured while building the tower. During that time she became friends with a boy named Jellal who taught her about magic. One day she, Jellal and the other slaves tried to escape from their captors but were overpowered by their magic. It is then Erza's magic abilities awaken and is able to kill all of her enemies. After this she lost Jellal in the scuffle and went looking for him. When she found him he was not the same. He became influenced by the dark mage Zeref and became evil. After knocking Erza unconscious he sent her flying across the ocean, and forced the free slaves to continue building the Tower of Heaven.
After gaining regaining conscious she went looking for the Fairy Tail Guild in hopes of asking them for help. When she arrived at the guild she was welcome in with open arms. She then started to wear armor as it made her feel safe. Later on the guild master Makarov took her to Porlyusica to get a artificial eye due to her right eye going blind. As the years went by Erza became an S-Class mage of Fairy Tail, making her one of the four S-Class member of the guild. She become an older sister figure to Natsu and Gray, being the only person able to force the two to get along. Natsu constantly wants to challenge her to a fight to test his strength but so far has not won a battle against her.
CreationThe initial idea behind Erza was always to have a female character that Natsu and all the other characters would be afraid of, according to Hiro Mashima. Because of this his initial design of her was much more wild and jungle-girl like, always being accompanied by a pet hawk. Many people have since pointed to her Edolas counterpart, Erza Knightwalker, as a character who resembles her old design. However her look was changed to be a tad more similar to the character Mammii from Monster Soul also created by Mashima. Many of the characters from Fairy Tail resemble or borrow things from Mashima's other works and Erza is no exception. Her name comes from "Eru" a character in a short story Mashima wrote called "Fiary Tale" and her powers resemble those of Leopard from Rave Master (in fact her Flight Armor comes with a pair of leopard ears as a possible reference to this character). Even her gambling talents are reminiscent of Elie, from Rave Master, who herself was a gambling master.
Outfits & Costumes
Erza usually wears a custom-made Heart Kreuz armor which she only occasionally takes off because she feels uncomfortable and insecure without it. Because she specializes in Requip magic, she has the ability to change not only her armor and weapons but also any of her clothing. Throughout the series she has worn various different costumes and attire fit for the occasion whether it be for a race, a sleepover, or for a beauty pageant. Her favorite outfit to wear is the bunny suit because she finds the ears "cute".
Erza is very strict and impatient who dislikes those who don't reply to her questions immediately. She also criticizes the bad habits and behaviors of her fellow guild members, causing them to apologize, in fear that she would invoke her wrath. But despite her tough persona, she can be clumsy at times and has a very strong sense of justice and pride in being a member Fairy Tail. Although she is "strong, mean and scary" (in Natsu's words), deep down she is kind, warm and full of passion. And throughout the series, as she grew closer to her friends she has become more open and less stern towards them and has come to completely trust and love them. That said, she still maintains her harsh and serious attitude (especially towards Gray and Natsu who always fight) and uses her exceptional leadership qualities to keep everyone in line.
Powers & Abilities
Erza's primary magic ability is called "Requip". This allows her to store weapons or armor in a pocket dimension with which she can switch any of her weapons for the other at any time. She is also able to equip armor to her body and create different armor with different abilities. Erza says she has over 100 types of armor.
- Heart Kreuz Armor - This is Erza's casual armor that she wears most of the time. It was made by Heart Kreuz.
- Heaven's Wheel Armor (天輪の鎧 Tenrin no Yoroi) - This armor allows Erza to face multiple opponents. She can summon hundreds of floating swords that can be fired at enemies.
- Black Wing Armor (黒羽の鎧 Kureha no Yoroi) - This armor gives Erza one sword, a revealing outfit and devil like wings. This armor increases the destructive power in Erza's attacks.
- Flame Empress Armor (炎帝の鎧 Entei no Yoroi) - This flame resistant armor makes fire-based attacks half as effective against her. In this form, she has no armor on her shoulders but more on her limbs. The boots resemble dragon feet/claws.
- Giant's Armor (巨人の鎧 Kyojin no Yoroi) - A yellow and blue colored armor that increases Erza's throwing power. She used this to destroy the moon for the villagers of Galuna Island.
- Adamantine Armor (金剛の鎧 Kongō no Yoroi) - A high-level defensive armor used to withstand extremely powerful attacks.
- Purgatory Armor (煉獄の鎧 Rengoku no Yoroi) - Little is known about this armor, Erza simply says that no one has ever seen it and lived, but it was quickly destroyed before she could use it in battle. The armor design is highly demonic looking implying it may enhance her strength or provide some sort of dark magic abilities.
- Normal Fight Robes - This armor has no special powers or properties, it simply consists of pants with flames on them and sarashi (bandages) over her chest along with two long katanas.
- Farewell Fairy Tail Armor (unofficial name) - This unnamed armor was shown when Erza bid her long time friends from The Tower of Heaven farewell by reciting the rules of quitting Fairy Tail. Nothing is known about this armor except that it is accompanied by a lance (a spear in the manga) on which the Fairy Tail flag is attached.
- Lightning Empress Armor (雷帝の鎧 Raitei no Yoroi) - This armor is used against Laxus, it reduces damage she takes from lightning based attacks.She can also fire lightning from the end of her spear.
- Robe of Yuen (悠遠の衣 Yūen no Koromo) - An armor made of an elastic Kimono that is able to prevent it from being manipulated by other's magic, it also gives Erza a boost in strength and speed.
- Flight Armor (飛翔の鎧 Hishou no Yoroi) - This Leopard print covered armor is used to increase Erza's speed and agility but at the cost for defense.
- Morning Star Armor (明星の鎧 Myoujou no Yoroi) - A similar design to Heaven's Wheel Armor which enables Erza to fire magic blasts.
- Armadura Fairy Armor (妖精の鎧 Yousei no Yoroi) - This armor is only seen for a moment when she uses it to clash with Edora's version of Erza. The armor is hinted to be her strongest but when she clashes with Erza Knightwalker's strongest weapon both are shattered, proving both to be on equal levels.
- Sea King Armor (海王の鎧 Kaiō no Yoroi) - This armor was designed to nullify water magic and was first introduced in the S-Class Exams when she battled Juvia and Lisanna.
- Seduction Armor (誘惑の鎧 Yūwaku no Yoroi) - A newly bought armor and as the name implies, is used for seduction.
- Nakagami Armor (天一神の鎧 Nakagami no Yoroi) -
This armor allows Erza to cut through the laws of magic. She firsts uses in against Minerva and cut through her spatial magic spells.
- Master Swordsmanship - Erza's offense mainly comes from her advanced swordplay which allows her to effectively carry and use her weapons. She can even use her swords using her feet.
- Enhanced Speed - Erza, even when fully armored holding large weapons, can swing her swords fast and move very quickly.
- Enhanced Strength - Erza is very strong, able to lift objects much heavier than herself. And even though she primarily excels in swordsmanship she is also skilled in hand-to-hand combat.
- Telekinesis - Erza is seen using telekinesis when using her Heaven's Wheel Armor, it's not clear if she has telekinetic ability while not wearing that armor.
- Artificial Eye - Erza lost her right eye in The Tower of Heaven when she was suspected of executing an escape plan for its slaves. After joining Fairy Tail, Makarov took her to Porlyusica who gave her an artificial eye. It was unaffected by magic which gave her an advantage in many battles. During the Fighting Festival, Evergreen's stone spell was easily broken and was ineffective in their fight. Also, her right eye helped her see through Midnight's created illusion.
Erza has appeared in two Fairy Tail video games to date, and one crossover as a support character. Sunday VS Magazine: Shuuketsu! Choujou Daikessen! (2009) Fairy Tail: Portable Guild (2010) Fairy Tail Gekitou! Madoushi Kesshen (2010)
CDs & Recordings
Erza had a character single released on April 6, 2011.
- ↑ Fairy Tail (Manga) - Vol. 4, Chapter 30 cover page.