Anko Mitarashi is a wild and energetic ninja of the Hidden Leaf Village and is a proctor to the second-stage of the Chunin Exams. Once a student of the Sannin, Orochimaru, she is trained in a variety of snake based jutsu.
Anko Mitarashi was born and raised in the Village Hidden in the Leaves. She was trained at the Ninja Academy and graduated with high marks to become a Genin at 10 years-old. Much to her surprise, she was selected to be the only pupil of one of the Hidden Leaf's legendary Sannin, Orochimaru. This was highly unusual since all Genin squads were supposed to be teams of three Genin led by one Jonin. It's never explained why an exception was made for Anko and Orochimaru. As an intelligent young girl, she thrust for knowledge and enjoyed the things she learned in the world while she traveled on missions with her master, and he trained her in many of his own Jutsu. At 12 years-old, she became a Chunin. it wasn't too long until she fell victim to the darker side of Orochimaru.
One day, Orochimaru used her and nine others in an experiment for his latest technique of the juinjutsu, Cursed Seal of Heaven. She was the only one who survived and escaped. Her memories of the experiments she survived had been removed. Later found by the ANBU Black Ops team who had come in search of Orochimaru, they brought her back to the Hidden Leaf Village and her curse mark was sealed for her protection. In her time back home, she graduated to a Tokubetsu Jonin level ninja and a proctor of the second stage of the Chunin Exams in the Forest of Death. Despite her strength and confidence, she was never sure if Orochimaru tossed her aside or if she left on her own.
Anko Mitarashi is a supporting character of the Naruto series that was created by Masashi Kishimoto. It first began serialization Weekly Shonen Jump in November 1999. She was introduced during the second part for the Chunin Exams. Kishimoto has said that Anko is his favorite female character in the series due to her past with Orochimaru, but he has used her very little outside of her initial appearance.
Her given name of Anko comes from a red-bean paste 餡こ (anko), also called Anzuki bean paste; and is used in making Dango. The family name Mitarashi comes from the Mitarashi syrup (みたらし) that is also used in a special type of dango called Mitarashi Dango (みたらし の 団子, mitarashi no dango). In the first official Naruto character popularity poll, Anko ranked 11th place, just behind Hinata Hyuga.
"Oh, really? You're pretty cocky, huh? Heh, your kind are always the first to go. Spilling all that rich, red, lovely, luscious blood... "Anko has played a limited part in the main Naruto manga series. She's an easy-going and hyperactive person. In her introduction to the class for the written exams, Sakura Haruno describe her as being similar to Naruto. This tomboyish and hyperactive personality masks a shrewdness in her skills with ninjutsu and an almost literal blood thirst. When Naruto starts mouthing off outside the Forest of Death testing grounds, she threw a kunai, grazing his cheek; and put more fear into him by licking the blood off his face. When she discovered Orochimaru was in the forest, she rushed in to find him and she attempted to use a forbidden jutsu to try and kill him, even at the risk of her dying as well.
Anko Mitarashi - "Naruto" Volume 5 Ch. 45
Affiliation: Hidden Leaf Village
Rank: Tokubetsu Jonin
Registered Ninja #: 011226
Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Blood Type: A
- D-Rank 72 / C-Rank 86 / B-Rank 398 / A-Rank 89 / S-Rank 2
Before the last part of the Chunin Exams, she met with the Third Hoakge and spoke fondly about wishing the Fourth Hokage was still alive. It's unknown what connection she had with him before his death. She was about 12 years-old at the time of his death. Unlike Sasuke Uchiha, she never gave into the temptation of Orochimaru's juinjutsu and stayed with the Hidden Leaf Village. She was later given the task of hunting down Orochimaru and his disciple, Kabuto Yakushi, as the leader of a special infiltration and recon team. Her favorite foods are sweet-mean soup and dango, she hates spicy food, and her hobby is in tea ceremonies. Anko's full past is never fully explained in the manga, but a story of Anko's past is told among a series of filler arcs that was called the Land of Sea Arc that ran from Episodes 169-173. It's unclear how canon any of these events are since none of the other events from this portion of the anime series has had any effect on the main story.
Powers & Abilities
Anko is a trained ninja of the Hidden Leaf village and is trained in many of their special techniques, and her time with Orochimaru taught her other skills as well. Among her skills are the jutsu of Ninjutsu, Taijutsu, Genjutsu, and weapons training. She graduated from the Ninja Academy at the age of 10 and obtains the rank of Chunin only two years later. It's unknown at what age she became a Jonin and was put in charge of the second half of the Chunin Exams.
Anko Mitarashi's Jutsu
- Striking Shadow Snakes: The Striking Shadow Snakes jutsu (潜影蛇手, sen'eijashu) is a variation of the Summoning jutsu. When performed, several snakes are ejected from under the sleeves at the arms and surround the target to hold them. They can either bind, inflict venom, or reveal blades from their mouths. This is a favored technique of Anko.
- Multiple Striking Shadow Snakes: The Multiple Striking Shadow Snake jutsu (潜影多蛇手, sen'ei Tajashu) is a variant of the Striking Shadow Snakes. The only real difference is in the number of snakes that are summoned and appear at incredible speed that makes eluding the attack nearly impossible.
- Summoning Jutsu (Snakes): The Summoning Jutsu (口寄せの術, kuchiyose no jutsu) is a type of time-space jutsu that can summon a variety of mystical animals. The ninja writes their name in a special contract scroll, sealed with their blood-stained thumb print. To call the animal, the hand seals are performed after drawing blood. Anko favors snakes in her summoning jutsu.
- Twin Snakes Sacrifice Jutsu: The Twin Snakes Sacrifice Jutsu (双蛇相殺の術, sōjasōsai no jutsu) is a forbidden technique that is intended to kill both the target and user. Anko attempted to use this technique to kill off Orochimaru with herself but it failed.She took his hand into hers to force the hand seal, and snakes are summoned that lock around both their wrists and bite down to inject a deadly venom.
- Cursed Seal of Heaven: Orochimaru's Juinjutsu is a special cursed sealing technique that was developed by him to instill his own chakra into his followers and bring them under his control. He bites into the neck of the target. A mark of of a three tomoe is left on the back of the neck. Though the seal can give the ninja incredible boost in power, it can also eat away at the very soul and body, and it will not be removed even after the death of Orochimaru. Anko's juinjutsu was never completed and sealed using the Cursed Sealing technique (封邪法印, fūja hōin). The strength of the seal is dependent on the will power of the wearer. The only time Anko's curse mark has appeared and spread is when she attempted the Twin Snake Sacrifice Jutsu.
- Fire Style - Dragon Fire Jutsu: The Dragon Fire Jutsu (火遁・龍火の術, katon: ryūka no jutsu) if a fire based jutsu technique. The ninja sets wires that leas to the intended target and unleashes an intense fireball from the mouth. The fire travels along the cord all the way to the target in one massive explosion. Anko has only shown to use this technique in the filler arcs of the anime.
Ninja's are ranked by their proficiency with the various types of jutsu and other statistics. The score is rates as a best out of five and are added up in a total score. (source, First Naruto Databook)
Anko has had varying levels of support in several of the Naruto line of video games. In some she's little more than a background or support character that guides the user through menus or upgrade shops. In some she's also been a playable character. Her first appearance in a game was in the PS2 game Naruto: Ultimate Ninja 3(2005), and this this game the English dub voice is done by Kari Wahlgren. In the Ultimate Mode of the game, she uses her curse mark while fighting against Orochimaru.